Sorry. correction. The worst movie ever. I raged.
1) Fire benders can't "create fire, they need "fire pits".
2) Earth benders need 10 of each other to push one rock for the whole movie.
3) Earth benders are imprisoned AROUND ROCKS.
4) They say "awng" instead of "aang".
5) No King boomy. wtf?
6) No Kyoshi warriors. wtf?!
7) No pirates, some earthbenders just GIVE them the scroll.
8 ) No character development of Sokka and Yue.
9) Sokka isn't funny, but rather, depressing.
10) Monk Gyatsu isn't an old asian dude.
11) No A.vatar Roku, but instead, a FUCKING DRAGON SPIRIT.
12) They barely touch on Uncle Airo.
13) Katara is suddenly just "allowed" to waterbend at the northern nation.
You might say, "Oh Powerdusk, you're wrong as usual, those are a ton of things, you can't get nit picky like that!". But Each one of these events and characters was crucial to the development of aang and the storyline.
1) Firebenders need fire pits? just conveniently placed? Bullshit. Firebenders create fire. End of story.
2) What's this whole thing with Earth benders being weak? 10? for one stone? for the whole movie? These guys are way more powerful than that.
3)In the show, the Earth benders are imprisoned out at sea, on metal. So they CANT bend. Putting them around rocks for a prison makes ZERO sense.
4) "awng"? Get your character pronunciations right.
5) King Boomy is an old friend of Aangs, and helps push out the fire nation in the last book. His madness, and skill with Earthbending is 100% necessary for the entire story pertaining to the earth kingdom.
6) Kyoshi warriors play a small part in the final battle for the world, but Suki is what turns Sokka into more of a warrior, and pushes his character development for most of the series.
7) Without pirates in the market, and Katara just "getting" the water scroll, the fire nation has no one to trace it back to like they did in the series. It was a terrible replacement that really will lead to problems in (science forbid) sequels.
8 ) Sokka and Yue is again, one of the most character defining moments for Sokka.
9) Sokka not being funny changes a ton. Big screw up.
10) Monk Gyatsu isn't an old asian dude? seriously?
11) No A.vatar Roku! What?! Roku had a relationship with Zuko's grandfather that lead to the world domination of the fire nation, and in later seasons it's what a lot of episodes focus around and Aang learns of. Aang goes to Roku's spirit for a lot of advice, and without that character, again, this movie falls deeper. Instead...they just used a dragon.
12) Uncle Airo needs constant character development. Without him, Zuko's life path would change completely and the end of the story wouldn't have been how it is in the series. (plus, he's not fat. A minor downside)
13) Katara suddenly being allowed to waterbend at the northern nation is flatout ridiculous. Her denial of waterbending for fighting is what motivates her as a character to train harder and be a better waterbender than Aang. Again, this is a lack of character development.
I'm not just being a nit-pick fanboy. Many similar things happen with Harry Potter movies, but you're able to get passed them. Fans don't come out of the theater bashing HP movies like Airbender did. (at least not the majority).
The last airbender is like taking out every bit of character development between Harry's bullying cousin, his relationship with his godfather and dumbledore, and making each movie without ANY humor.
The 4th HP movie had a similar problem. I.E.: Changing Barty Crouch Jr. to be the torturer of the Longbottoms. It's a blatant error, that makes the 5th movie seem inconsistant. (and makes the 4th movie the weakest of the 6 so far).
No movie is perfect. This is true. But when it comes to standards of fucking up a great and thorough series, this has set the bar. If you're going to change the story and plotline THIS much, make it different movie completely.
A lack of character development, a complete denial of character existence, numbingly painful exposition, and basic lore and power errors, make this the worst movie I've ever seen.
/begin Powerdusk bashing.