Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently April, 20, 2014 - 10:15am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocksmith (for the music game lovers)
PostPosted: December, 26, 2011 - 1:41am 
Sergeant Major Manf

Ok, so I picked this up as a "Santa" present, since I still love the music games like "Rock Band". It really is the next level to this genera. You use any guitar that has an electric pickup. The song is a mixed form sort of like rolling tab and in some cases the actual chord names shown (mostly it is a colored line rolling down at you on a fret number and you strum when it hits the bottom just like in Guitar Hero/Rock Band franchises). Each colored line represents a different string (red, yellow, blue, orange, green, purple going from the low e to the high e string). The system pretty much is constantly adapting to how well (or poorly) you are playing or have played in the past, so it starts out with part of a riff, and as you hit that, it will add in a few more of the notes, or change it to the chords, etc., etc., as you continue doing well (there are no, easy, normal, hard type settings (at least that I know of yet, well I guess there is a hard mode, which basically has you play the song without anything on the screen from memory)).

Needless to say I was having a blast. Learned some of the basics of several songs. I came to the realization that I really havn't been playing guitar as much as I would like, and this is a great way to be honest with you. Gets me learning a lot more songs, and having fun, and brushing up on my technique all at the same time. The hardest part is getting to know the interface and how they notate bends, hammer ons, pull offs, slides (pretty obvious), palm mute, chords (both full strum and finger picked)... There is an entire section just to practice those things. There is also a full chord tutorial where you can go over fingering in general for the chords as well as song specific fingering (for flowing between the chords of that particular song). Really, it is pretty awesome if you ask me. I highly recommend at least checking it out if you play guitar even a little (or want to learn, that said, I do think a real instructor would be better for getting the basics so you don't teach yourself bad technique).

Post subject: Re: Rocksmith (for the music game lovers)
PostPosted: December, 26, 2011 - 2:12am 
Shamoozal Legend

I believe there is already a discussion on this but I guess it can all be consolidated here. I would definitely like to try this out but I am not going to spend $60 on it.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: December, 26, 2011 - 2:37am 
Sergeant Major Manf

Well, it is more like $75 at least for the ones I have seen. It includes the converter/patchcord, so they are charging you the $15 extra for that. I got it when there was some buy one get one free deal, so I spent $75 and got 2 new games (which I could justify).

PostPosted: December, 26, 2011 - 3:20am 
Shamoozal Legend

I'm pretty sure the other people on here got it for $60.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: December, 26, 2011 - 7:46am 
Shamoozal Vet

Yeah it was on sale last week at least for $60. I figured with as much money as I've spent on guitar/amps/etc over the years, another $60 to get me to actually start playing again might be worth it. Of course I've only played it the day I got it, but I'm blaming that on a busy week last week.

- You were supposed to fire up. _We_ both fired _up_.

PostPosted: December, 27, 2011 - 1:51am 
Sergeant Major Manf

Ok, so I am now just starting to get use to the interface, as well how to get the game to increase the realism of the notes it wants you to hit to play the song. I'm still tweaking the audio/video delay, but I have that pretty close now (close enough that I don't really notice it). I also played a bit of the "dawn of the chordead" (or whatever it is called) mini game. I do have to say it is pretty funny, and really does a nice job testing your knowledge of chords. I think it is a really useful training/practice tool to be honest.

PostPosted: December, 27, 2011 - 11:26am 
Corporal Shamoozal

Fallen Kell wrote:
Ok, so I am now just starting to get use to the interface, as well how to get the game to increase the realism of the notes it wants you to hit to play the song. I'm still tweaking the audio/video delay, but I have that pretty close now (close enough that I don't really notice it). I also played a bit of the "dawn of the chordead" (or whatever it is called) mini game. I do have to say it is pretty funny, and really does a nice job testing your knowledge of chords. I think it is a really useful training/practice tool to be honest.

Totally agree.

Sean wrote:
So, Rocksmith showed up at my doorstep on Thursday when i was away for work. On Friday evening, after i drove back home, i threw it in since my wife was still at work. I also played a little this morning since she had to work early. Two sittings, 5ish hours, and raw fingers.

I consider myself a pretty accomplished guitar player. I'm 30 years old, and I've been playing for as long as i can remember. One of the first "toys" i had was a guitar, my dad is a phenomenal guitarist, so i've been around / playing guitars for a long time. That said, i'm a TERRIBLE lead guitar player. I can play any chord progression(s) you want, as well as sing and strum, but when it comes to riffs or soloing, i'm awful. Clumsy fingers, i guess.

I popped in rocksmith and hooked up my guitar, and went through the tutorial. The interface is pretty intuitive. It's sort of like Guitar Hero in that you have the scrolling stuff you have to hit. instead of the buttons at the bottom of the screen, though, you have a guitar neck. Strings are color-coded (EADGBE = Red Yellow Blue Orange Green Purple), and the frets are numbered. Going through the tutorial was pretty clumsy for me, trying to sight-read as well as make sure fingering was correct (haven't picked up my guitar in a month or more heh).

After the tutorial, you go right into the "game mode" with rehearsal, play a gig, etc etc. For your first gig, they give you two songs. The first song to rehearse is a choice between a Black Keys song and the Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction. Easy choice for me, since I don't know the Black Keys song. So they start you out playing what i would consider the "bass line" of the song; single notes pretty evenly spaced. As if you were playing single notes to try and figure out what key it was in, you know what i mean? The adaptive difficulty is pretty spectacular. The game sees you're playing correctly and changes up the difficulty in the middle of the song. Occasionally this can be problematic as they're throwing stuff at you that you haven't seen before, but i guess that's the point :p. I played through Satisfaction about 5 times to feel comfortable playing it, each time picking up a little more of the song.

You have to play a song and score over a certain number of points in order for that song to be "gig worthy." You can make your set list for a gig from a list of any song you've qualified on. Of course, when you play your gig, if you score high enough, you'll be tossed an encore, which is a song you've NEVER rehearsed before, and that you have to sight-read. For me, these have been significantly harder than the set list songs.

There are also technique practice sessions you can unlock (i.e. practicing palm mute, double-stop, power chord, etc etc) as well as arcade-style games using the guitar neck - i played a "Duck Hunt" type arcade game where they give you the neck interface, and a duck begins flying from one of the frets, and you have to hit the note to "shoot" the duck. If you hit the wrong note, the duck goes faster. It's a pretty cool fingering tool.

As i said earlier, I was playing Satisfaction, and eventually played a gig and progressed through some other songs for a while, got comfortable with the interface i bit, then came back to "Satisfaction" and i guess my "level" was better, and the game was throwing all these licks in during the middle part of the song. I was lost. So i practiced a couple more times, and caught up.

The best part about it so far is that, unlike guitar hero, when i turn the game off and pick up the guitar, i've actually learned to play a song. And that's why, after 5 hours, I highly recommend Rocksmith to anyone who wants to learn to play the guitar (or, hey, if you want your KIDS to learn to play the guitar!). Doesn't matter if you have never played before, if you're a novice, or if you're a pro: You'll get something out of this.

PostPosted: January, 1, 2012 - 9:21pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

Ok, so I had to pickup Freebird (not that I can come close to playing it). It is one of the download add-on's. I figure it will be something to aspire to at least :D

PostPosted: January, 1, 2012 - 9:36pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I'm sure you can play most of it up to the solo. And the solo is actually pretty repetitive. You're just soloing over the same 3 chords over and over again. With a little practice, you'll probably get it faster than you think.

PostPosted: January, 2, 2012 - 8:25am 
Corporal Shamoozal

I was tempted to pick up free bird as well, but as of yet i have not. No free Christmas songs? Rocksmith, i am Disappoint.

PostPosted: January, 2, 2012 - 1:14pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

There is a free holiday pack, but you got to go look under the "packs", not songs. Not sure what was in it as I had not really played since downloading it.

PostPosted: January, 2, 2012 - 8:04pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

Fallen Kell wrote:
There is a free holiday pack, but you got to go look under the "packs", not songs. Not sure what was in it as I had not really played since downloading it.

Ah, i'll have to pick it up.

PostPosted: January, 24, 2012 - 12:03pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

Ok, so I finally decided that I was ready to attempt Freebird. I certainly had a blast with it at least. I was playing the rhythm guitar part (so no solo work for me since I know I can't play that). I need to go over one or two chords they have in there as I never heard of the B/F chord before, and for anyone who plays knows that the B chords in general are all a pain (usually requiring some form a bar chord possibly with deadend strings in the middle of the chord). In other words, not something you just "play" without a lot of practice with moving you finger/hand positions into and out of to/from other chords, and I just couldn't get that one.

I am not sure how the other arrangement is, and I am surprised there are only 2 arrangements total for that song, considering there are 3 guitar parts/players, so again, not sure how that second arrangement will work.

PostPosted: February, 17, 2013 - 6:49pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I bought a capture thing yesterday and decided to try it out. I'm still figuring out all the things with it like the HDMI port is basically useless with a PS3 because of HDCP. I have to record it via component and the sound was super low so I had to go and export the audio and make that louder and re render the video. Next time, I record, I'm going to see if I can just try to increase the audio on the initial recording itself.

Here are a couple of songs I recorded. Pretty mediocre preformances at best.

PostPosted: February, 18, 2013 - 2:36pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

I need to start playing this again, as well as take a look at what they did to add bass support (I think a lot of that came for the PC version, but personally I wouldn't mind spending another $30-40 if it added bass).

PostPosted: February, 18, 2013 - 2:56pm 
Shamoozal Legend

You should do YYZ on bass.

I have that song mastered on guitar but I wouldn't say I play a great version of it. Still needs a lot more practice.

PostPosted: March, 8, 2013 - 2:05pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

So I realized I grabbed this on the PC during a steam sale for like $15 a month or 2 ago (probably during the Winter Sale). I finally installed it a week or so ago and started playing. I have only been using the bass since that is what I have been trying to get accustomed to playing. I'm really not that good as I am still not comfortable with the fret and string spacings and find that I lose "where I am" a lot still, especially when I still don't know the song at all since it is next to impossible for me to play without looking at the neck, so doing that and looking at the screen to see what notes are next is pretty hard still.

That said, I feel like I am making a lot of progress, if only because I am playing more (only way to get the muscle memory is to repeat the actions over and over). I can play a few simple songs now pretty well. I am trying hard to play my bass like a 4 string bass, but I do find myself cheating on some songs when it is so much easier to use that fifth string so I don't have to adjust my hand position (then again that is the whole point of having a 5 string bass...). I probably spent another $40 on extra songs this past week, grabbing some that I would love to learn someday as well as ones which I know have some of those classic bass lines that I know I should learn because they are reused over and over.

PostPosted: March, 8, 2013 - 2:11pm 
Shamoozal Legend

What packs did you get?

I'm still working on Cliffs of Dover. I almost have Alive mastered. I've also been trying to get everything to 100% on Smooth. That song isn't so bad. I'm also working on Hanger 18 very very slowly. It's going to take a while just to get part 2 of solo 1 to 100%. I can play it at about 85% speed right now. I should be able to do 90%.

PostPosted: March, 8, 2013 - 2:59pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

Lets see off the top of my head....

Packs:
Rush
Megadeath
Queen
Judas Priest
Police

Singles:
Barracuda
Smoke on the Water
Don't Fear The Reaper
Soul Man
Freebird
Sittin on the Dock on the Bay
In-A-Godda-Da-Vida
Born on the Bayou
Cliff's of Dover
Carry on Wayward Son
Black Betty
Give up the Funk
More Than a Feeling

I guess that is probably more like $90 :shock:

Still that is less than 2 bass lessons, and there is no way I would have been able to cover that many songs in 2 lessons (that said, you don't really just learn songs taking lessons).

PostPosted: October, 10, 2013 - 11:40am 
Sergeant Major Manf

So who here is excited about Rocksmith 2014? I will probably be picking it up. Looking now to see if there are pre-order specials or something. If I don't see one, I will probably wait for the PC version to go on sale via Steam (probably will get at least 10% off for the winter sale), or see if there is a buy 1 get 1 somewhere, but PC games typically do not get those...

PostPosted: October, 10, 2013 - 1:17pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here playing the game with you.

You get Cherub Rock when you preorder it. I preordered it a couple of weeks ago. I wish I got the original one on PC now. I can't transfer my DLC from the PS3 to PC so now I'm stuck with the PS3 version. I want to use sessions mode but I don't want it to burn in the images into my TV. The track list for 2014 is a lot more appealing than the original. Slayer, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Rush, Radio Head. A lot of solid stuff. I want to learn some Paranoid Android and Spirit of Radio. I'm still having fun with the original though. Still working on Cliffs of Dover, Symphony of Destruction, and Cowboys From Hell. I recently finally learned all of Tom Sawyer and leveled every piece up to mastered. I just need to practice it more now. I almost have the Cowboys From Hell solo down. I just need to clean it up a bit on the fast triplet runs. The Symphony of Destruction solo is proving to be a bit more pain in the ass than I had originally anticipated. I thought I am able to play solo 3 but it's just clean enough. Especially the final transitions. I need to practice that a bit more but I think I'm almost there. I think solo 4 is a little easier and I almost got that. And still a lot of work needed for Cliffs. I'm slowly but surely getting better at the solo 3 of the main solo. I can get through it at 100% speed without it failing me but it's still not good enough for it to allow me to pass. It's just so fast. You really have to have perfect technique.

Oh, and Boss is actually a really fun tune to play. The solo is short but a really cool lick.

PostPosted: October, 10, 2013 - 5:16pm 
Purple Heart

I have it, but the lag is stopping me from getting that into it. I can play guitar hero and ignore a small amount of lag, but when I have a guitar in my hands and can hear myself playing in real time alongside laggy game audio, it's really jarring.

PostPosted: October, 10, 2013 - 6:03pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I don't have any audio lag. You don't have your AV setup correctly if you are experiencing lag. You need to output your audio via analog. I do that and have it go directly into a pair of headphones. There's really no audio lag. And 2014 supposedly reduced the lag even more.

PostPosted: October, 10, 2013 - 6:23pm 
Purple Heart

There is lag. It's not a lot, but there is some. I do have it hooked up via the AV cables. Even if you put on headphones, it's still noticeable. Trust me, with the amount of rhythm games I play, I know what I'm doing. You probably have a better TV for this sort of thing.

PostPosted: October, 10, 2013 - 6:38pm 
Shamoozal Legend

If it's the TV, then you can fix for that in the video lag adjustor thing can't you?

My TV is a plasma so it has very little delay. Maybe my ears have already adjusted to the delay. There might be a 50 ms delay. Maybe less. But I haven't really had any problems with it. And from what I read, 2014 only made the response better so that's a plus. The worst with Rocksmith was the load times and the UI but they've addressed those problems in 2014.