Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently April, 24, 2014 - 12:08pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PS4
PostPosted: November, 15, 2013 - 4:05pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

So its out this morning. I don't know if I even really care yet. There isn't a single game on it that I am even vaguely interested in getting. Anyone else have thoughts yet?

Post subject: Re: PS4
PostPosted: November, 15, 2013 - 4:08pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Supposedly Knack is terrible.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: November, 15, 2013 - 5:29pm 
Purple Heart

The launch lineup stinks...I am waiting for Uncharted.

PostPosted: November, 15, 2013 - 5:31pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I almost want to get a 3DS because of all the awesome reviews of the new Zelda.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: November, 15, 2013 - 5:51pm 
Purple Heart

I honestly don;t know why anyone would buy either of these day one. Personally I would need more games I want to play. Sure AC4 and Ghosts look better but I don't really care enough to drop $400+ to see the improvements. Killzone looks alright but I've never been really into it. I don;t think the PS4 or the XBO have anything that will be out immediately that makes them worth buying. Also I want to wait to see if either has any kind of serious problems like the RRoD.

PostPosted: November, 15, 2013 - 5:59pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

There seems to be a HDMI port issue on the PS4. It isn't common, but a few people have posted about it. Essentially during the construction, boxing, or shipping a metal tab in the port gets bent up preventing a cable from properly connecting and in some cases damaging the cable. It is a simply fix of just bending the metal tab back down to where it should belong (the metal piece is part of the EMI and grounding shield). It is easily detectable by looking at the HDMI port with a flashlight to inspect it first.

PostPosted: November, 15, 2013 - 7:00pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

I was watching the countdown show last night. And realized there isnt anything i'm looking forward to on it really. I'm gonna wait til next year around this time and make a decision on which one I want to get. I hope my ps3 makes it as it really sounds like its on the outs. Right now I would prolly lean more towards the xbox. Just hoping there isnt major problems.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 5:05am 
Purple Heart

I'm starting to feel my impulse buy itch for this and I'm trying hard to fight it. I could afford a PS4 and still have some money left to get me through this semester (I normally get some cash for Christmas which carries me through second semester). At some point I might see how much EB or a pawn shop would give me for my PS3 and all of it's games/controllers.

I honestly felt no desire to pick one up until I saw videos pop up and people I know talking about it online, and now I want it even though I know it would be dumb to hop on now.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 10:42am 
I demanded a title change and I got one

I'm in the same boat as a lot of you guys. While I could rob ably go out and pick one up, I have no desire to, especially since it's not back-compat and I have some PS3 games I am still playing/need to finish. To make my decision worse my PS3 crapped out last week and now I don't know if I spend $40 and replace the lens which might burn right back out or pick one up used when PS4's start flooding the market and driving PS3 process down. I want to finish GTAV, Tomb Raider, and the thought of packing this up and never being able to throw in Fallout 3, MGS4 or and Uncharteds bums me out a lil bit.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 10:56am 
Level 27 Gardener

Yeah not really feeling the launch at all. Part of me is excited just because i know it's out there, but I know the truth. There just isn't shit on it. From what I understand, it also has like absolutely nothing coming to it in the first half of next year. I think it's going to be Wii U style droughts for both it and Xbone.

Speaking of Wii U, I still haven't even gotten/played everything I want on that yet to even justify buying another console at the moment. I still want Wind Waker and Pikmin. I'll be getting Mario 3D next week (and maybe Zelda). There is plenty for me to do with that machine at the moment to keep me busy.

Also I MIGHT brave Walmart on Blackfriday and get the cheapo 12GB PS3. It's 150 that day. We haven't had anything to watch DVDs/BD for the entire summer. The girls have been wanting to watch things that we can't watch. I'd just buy a new bluray player, but might as well just get another PS3 so I don't lose my library and so I can play some things I've missed out on like Last of Us and Dragon's Crown. Also, Castlevania is coming in Feb. Though maybe I'll go PC for that.

Only next gen game i want to try is Killer Instinct.

edit: I've also never bought a Sony console at launch.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 12:20pm 
Purple Heart

Yeah I am prob getting Zelda and I asked for Last of Us for Christmas so I will be busy for a while. Plus my wife just got me the Regular Show 3DS game. That Uncharted PS4 teaser was pretty cool but it is a long way away. The countdown special for ps4 they aired on spike was ridiculous. They asked people in the line what game they are most excited for and most of them said CoD. One guy even said "I can't wait for Cod! I just beat it on ps3!" What an idiot.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 2:49pm 
Purple Heart

Nick wrote:
I'm starting to feel my impulse buy itch for this and I'm trying hard to fight it. I could afford a PS4 and still have some money left to get me through this semester (I normally get some cash for Christmas which carries me through second semester). At some point I might see how much EB or a pawn shop would give me for my PS3 and all of it's games/controllers.

I honestly felt no desire to pick one up until I saw videos pop up and people I know talking about it online, and now I want it even though I know it would be dumb to hop on now.

This is me. Thank god for supply being scarce in these first few months. I already checked a walmart last night.

Need Zelda and Mario out to distract me. I'm planning on picking one up when I get my tax return back.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 3:11pm 
Purple Heart

Yeah I still have GTA 5 and Batman Arkham Origins that I haven't finished. I want to beat GTA but I don't know about Batman.

Also Phil as for games there are a ton of multi platform games that just have "2014" listed as their release date still. When I look at exclusives listed for earlier 2014 I see DriveClub and Infamous: Second Sun for the PS4 and I only see Titanfall for the XBone

There are also of course some little PSN/whatever they call XBL Arcade now games and there were some Kinect only games I just didn;t list.

Also a big problem for me is that from what I've seen, the PS4 is a more appealing console to me, the controller looks better, it is the more powerful console while still being easy to develop for (from what I've heard), no Kinect and $100 cheaper.

But when I compare launch game exclusives that I would play I see Killzone for PS4, which isn't my #1 shooter franchise by any means, I'd probably buy it to play through the single player and check out the new PS4 graphics, then I'd go back to Battlefield or cod. But on the XBone Ryse, KI, and Dead Rising 3 all have some appeal to me. Also it won't be out until March but Titanfall looks pretty cool to me too.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 6:56pm 
Purple Heart

I feel like we should just call this the " Next Gen Thread" or something cause now I'm going to start talking about more Xbox One shit.

So a few days ago I saw some footage for Dead Rising 3 that looked very interesting and ran pretty great, but now I'm seeing stuff coming out showing the game running between 10 and 16 FPS. I really hope that this footage is from really old builds. Also apparently they are saying it will be locked at 30 FPS and something about a console running 720p 30fps doesn't seem very next gen to me...

edit: look at these textures

I reaaallllly hope this isn't final build. But on the other hand if it is it will make my console decision a little bit easier.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 8:29pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Ohhh I saw that picture with all sorts of shit Photoshoped into it and didn't know what it was originally of. Yeah I think DR3 is going to be a dud.

All these games remind of when the 360 launched with games like GUN. Current gen stuff but it looks a bit better. Though I'd say in this case I don't even see the difference. Those graphics would be acceptable if that shit ran at 60 and 1080p. Crazy it doesn't.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 8:30pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Here is that shot

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 8:42pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Those graphics don't really strike me as amazing or anything. I just assumed current gen is capable of the same thing (or close to it). I guess I'm just used to PC graphics. That picture right there doesn't look any better to me than Half Life 2 which is like 10 years old.

Oh, I guess that was your point.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 9:11pm 
Purple Heart

Phil wrote:
All these games remind of when the 360 launched with games like GUN.

GUN came out on GC, original Xbox and PS2, Dead Rising 3 is an XBone exclusive. Also at least last gen was a jump from non-hd to hd.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 9:15pm 
Purple Heart

I also love how perfectly Wall Guy fits on that horrible texture.

Oh and the footage I have seen of DR3 definitely looks better than Half Life 2.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 10:40pm 
Purple Heart

RYSE looks like hot garbage. Just a bunch of QTEs and Next Gen Graphixxxxx.

I think both systems have turdy launch games, but I would totally play and probably enjoy the hell out of DR3, shitty graphics or not.

PostPosted: November, 16, 2013 - 11:08pm 
Purple Heart

RYSE definitely looks like it has a lot of QTEs but I like the way they do them. No big button popping up on the screen. The dude just flashes a colour quickly. Also it basically looks like the Arkham games except there are more buttons involved in the counters and no gadgets. I would probably buy it if I went for a xBOner.

PostPosted: November, 17, 2013 - 12:00am 
I demanded a title change and I got one

Phil wrote:
Also I MIGHT brave Walmart on Blackfriday and get the cheapo 12GB PS3. It's 150 that day.

Thanks for this heads up on this. I don't think I'll go out to Wal Mart to grab this but if Amazon matches on Friday or Monday I'll jump on it and replace my HDD. I still think my PS3 has a lot of mileage in terms of games and fun left and I'm not ready to put it in the closet yet.

PostPosted: November, 17, 2013 - 10:21am 
Level 27 Gardener

I'm kind of hoping Amazon does it too because I really don't want to go to Walmart either.

Nick, my GUN comparison was geared more towards like the versions of AC and COD on next gen consoles.

PostPosted: November, 17, 2013 - 10:45am 
Level 27 Gardener

Sony issued a press release saying they sold 1mill PS4s in 24 hours. Apparently this is their biggest launch ever, which I find kind of shocking. Would have thought that was PS2 by a long shot.

Anyway, Wii U in one year has barely managed to movr 1.4 million units. At this rate PS4 will over take it within 2 - 3 months. It's amazing how much Nintendo squandered their first year head start. That machine is so dead now. There is no turning it around.

PostPosted: November, 17, 2013 - 11:50am 
Purple Heart

They really should have had a better launch lineup...I guess companies are really just looking to get the system out there even if the launch sucks. All these new systems had games out that I dont care about when they were launched.