Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently October, 31, 2014 - 2:11am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Home Improvements
PostPosted: April, 21, 2009 - 2:59pm 
THE GENERAL

So the wife and I have been seriously considering getting our basement finished soon. We have a good amount of money saved up but we really have no idea what its going to cost. My wife's uncle "flips" houses so he's pretty good with giving estimates. He's not actually going to do ours because he doesnt work on houses that he doesnt own but he is recommending someone once he checks it out. He's going to have to know what we want so I made a drawing in MS Paint just now on what I would like. I'm going to take some pictures of what it looks like now and maybe I'll post them. Right now its just cement floors and concrete walls with all our shit stored down there. The main thing I want is an nice bar with a keg fridge underneath the counter and the C02 tank like a real bar has. But if that gets really pricey then I'll put that off for now.

Post subject: Re: Home Improvements
PostPosted: April, 21, 2009 - 3:08pm 
Secret Fan

That would be a pretty rad basement dude!

PostPosted: April, 21, 2009 - 3:14pm 
THE GENERAL

Yeah that was right off the top of my head.
In reality, I dont know if I can actually fit what I drew there. I think I drew my basement bigger than it actually is. I just want my bar. I have a beer bottle collection with over 100 bottles just sitting at my parents' house for when I get this done.

PostPosted: April, 21, 2009 - 3:34pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

cool beans joey penis

PostPosted: April, 21, 2009 - 7:27pm 
Shamoozal Vet

Foosball....nice!

Video store employee: I'm Thark.
Elaine: [embarassed] Hi.

PostPosted: April, 23, 2009 - 10:28pm 
THE GENERAL

Just had the guy come check out the basement. He gave us some great news. Basically its a lot less than I thought it was going to be and that includes a full bathroom and my kegerator bar. We could pretty much start getting it done tomorrow if he finalized the quote. Its not exactly how I drew it but close enough. I made my drawing a little bigger than the basement really is like I originally thought. Just have to cut out a couple things.

I took some BEFORE pics just in case we really do get started soon.

Bedroom

Storage area, wont get finished but walled off

Bar Area against wall, pole to pole (other pole isnt in picture.

Laundry Room, wont get finished but walled off

Stairs

TV Room

Bathroom

Updated drawing

PostPosted: April, 23, 2009 - 10:52pm 
Secret Fan

This is going to be AWESOME!

are you going to do progress pictures as well if you get this started? Or just before and after shots?

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 7:05am 
Shamoozal Warrior

Who are you using?

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 8:17am 
THE GENERAL

Bowie wrote:
Who are you using?

After checking out our basement Mandy's uncle actually agreed to do it because he thinks it will be fun. Which is cool because usually he doesnt do stuff like this for family because then everyone would start asking him. He said he could start as soon as we were ready and it would take about 2-3 weeks to complete. He has a guy he uses when he works on other houses so he's gonna get him to be the main dude that is there every day and her uncle might just come a few days a week to help out.

i think the estimate was not including the kegerator so i might have to get that at a later date. he just quoted me on an actual bar being built. we'll see what he says once he puts all the numbers together.

Baltar, I might do picture updates if I can.
I dont want to be the guy that is over the workers shoulder as he's working so after they leave for the day maybe I'll take some pics. still dont know when its starting though.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 9:30am 
Shamoozal Legend

You're getting a guy to do it? I thought you were going to do it yourself. That's not home improvement. That's like buying a new TV.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 9:42am 
THE GENERAL

i cant do any of that shit. and if i tried it would be shitty. i want a nice job done by professionals. i'm the least handy man of all time.

i'm still improving my home so you're wrong there.
i only put the picture of tim taylor because of the thread name not because i was doing it myself. it'll be a million times better doing it this way.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 9:58am 
Peepers Peeled

i've been meaning to paint and re-do the trim in my hallway for about 2 years now. i'm never going to do it.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 11:02am 
High School Bully

Your basement is probably going to be pretty awesome. I look forward to seeing it.

These aren't really home improvements, but I have two people coming out next week. On Tuesday I'm finally going to have someone come in and kill all the ants. I just can't handle it anymore so I decided to call someone. Basically I thwart one of their paths and they just make a new one. Plus, after the Benson incident I don't want to keep spraying the bug spray around. Then on Friday I have people coming out to ONCE AGAIN fix my Air Conditioner. Great. Another grand gone just like that.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 11:28am 
THE GENERAL

Phil wrote:
Your basement is probably going to be pretty awesome. I look forward to seeing it.

These aren't really home improvements, but I have two people coming out next week. On Tuesday I'm finally going to have someone come in and kill all the ants. I just can't handle it anymore so I decided to call someone. Basically I thwart one of their paths and they just make a new one. Plus, after the Benson incident I don't want to keep spraying the bug spray around. Then on Friday I have people coming out to ONCE AGAIN fix my Air Conditioner. Great. Another grand gone just like that.

Hey Phil, I just had an ant problem too.
Actually I thought they were termites. By my front windowsill these flying bugs were everywhere coming out of the cracks in the wood. I sprayed and it killed them all and then the next day more were there. I did it for a couple days then called finally someone. Absolute Extermination I think was the name. He came out and said they were just flying ants and sprayed my whole house for 25 bucks. They havent been back since.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 11:30am 
High School Bully

Wow 25 bucks? That's cool. This is going to cost me 175... but I think he's going to wreck the place, which is what I want.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 11:32am 
THE GENERAL

Phil wrote:
Wow 25 bucks? That's cool. This is going to cost me 175... but I think he's going to wreck the place, which is what I want.

Yeah mine doesnt sound as bad as yours. They were just flying all over the front window. They were big guys though. Probably about 25 at a time each time I killed them. I'm sure you have millions of little guys.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 11:53am 
Shamoozal Warrior

Phil wrote:

I just had an exterminator come out and spray my house down to kill those box elder bugs that were taking over my house. He charged me 125 but its the same exterminator who does my parents house so I got sort of a break. National Park's got a bug problem. Especially a gnat problem.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 12:16pm 
THE GENERAL

goddamn river bugs.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 1:53pm 
Purple Heart

Bowie wrote:
Phil wrote:

I just had an exterminator come out and spray my house down to kill those box elder bugs that were taking over my house. He charged me 125 but its the same exterminator who does my parents house so I got sort of a break. National Park's got a bug problem. Especially a gnat problem.

my gmom gets them and every friday when we go over she has piles of them on her porch. Ill have to tell her tonight about this. SHe prolly wont do it b/c killing bugs gives her something to do all day haha.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 2:03pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

I just had a ridiculous problem with them, they literally powerwashed my house with this poison and killed thousands of the bugs. They're starting to come back because the weather is warmer but not even close to the numbers i had. I think he wanted 150 for the spraying, twice a year. It was seriously ridiculous the amount that it killed, I should have taken pictures of the piles of them, it was disgusting.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 2:28pm 
Shamoozal Vet

Thats going to be pretty pimp man. Thats a nice sized basement you have. Enjoy the hell out of it.

- You were supposed to fire up. _We_ both fired _up_.

PostPosted: April, 24, 2009 - 2:30pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

yeah any money you spend on an improvement like that you will see 3x that when you try to sell it. full basements are great.

PostPosted: April, 25, 2009 - 9:08am 
THE GENERAL

shit, the guy ran all the numbers and priced all the things he would need and its a lot higher than he thought it would be and thats WITHOUT the bar. crap. so we would have to save a good amount more before we could start. probably wont be done for the summer like I originally thought but we'll see. he told us to get another estimate in case someone can do it for cheaper. so now i have to call some places i guess.

PostPosted: April, 25, 2009 - 9:51am 
Shamoozal Warrior

I know you probably won't listen to me and its cool but seriously, you get what you pay for. Its the truth, alot of people are learning that now getting beat by shitty contractors. Watch your ass, and don't just go after the lowest guy because he's low.

We use a guy as our carpenter/ General Contractor, he's pretty expensive but you won't get work this clean from anyone else.

PostPosted: April, 25, 2009 - 10:00am 
THE GENERAL

yeah i know, thats why i want mandys uncle to do it because i've seen the houses he turned from shit to awesome. so i know he would do a good job. he's the one that told me to go get another estimate because he thinks his guys might be charging a little too much. he gets the guys jobs and they give him a percentage for finding them work but he cant control what they charge. he thought he could get them to about 10 grand but he couldnt.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next