Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently April, 21, 2014 - 5:49am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Writing a resume...
PostPosted: October, 31, 2013 - 10:29pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

Couldn't find this as a whore daddy already, so felt it was time to post it.

While I won't officially know anything for another week, given recent events at my work, I don't think it matters if I survive this round of cuts, as there will only be another round in another 2-3 months (even though management has been denying that (they will always deny it because they don't want to lose any of the good people who can find other jobs and instead prey on your fear of being cut and being thankful to them for allowing you the privilege of working so they can throw rancid chuck steak at you and say it is filet mignon)). Sorry for the rant, as you can see I am pretty much done at this point.

I just found a copy of my resume. I haven't really updated it in over 8 years (I hadn't needed too, heck, I have only ever worked for one company my entire life, even before I was out of college and had a degree). I havn't written or updated my resume in so long that I almost have to throw it entirely out. About the only things useful from it are the dates of when I graduated and started my job. I'm looking right now on what the latest resume fad format is to make sure it doesn't look ancient...

Post subject: Re: Writing a resume...
PostPosted: October, 31, 2013 - 10:48pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Yeah the layoffs over at that place are pretty crazy. I think you'll survive the next batch though.

As for resume writing, I actually don't mind it. If you need any suggestions I could try to help. Not much has changed with resume writing in the last few years though. Only thing you'll want to do is get yourself on LinkedIn, which has become pretty crucial in getting jobs. I know a lot of people that have people calling them all of the time because of their resume on that site.

Good luck.

PostPosted: November, 1, 2013 - 12:25am 
Shamoozal Legend

Yeah, make sure all your stuff is up to date on LinkedIn. I get about 1 recruiter contacting me per day on average. But that has a lot to do with my field and where I live. Also make sure your resume isn't over bloated. I wouldn't go over 2 pages. I think even 1 and a half is too long. You have to highlight the key words they're looking for and keep them in the front. Also, when applying for jobs, make sure you tailor every resume you submit specifically to that job. Don't just make 1 copy of your resume and call it done, you need to target the exact positions you are applying for. Looking for new jobs really does suck but once you land that new sweet job, it will be worth it. Also interviewing is a skill, the more you do it, the better you get. Don't get too discouraged if you bomb your first few interviews. Just learn from your mistakes and do better next time. I still remember my first few interviews out here. They were just the worst. I wasn't prepared enough and choked on the stupidest stuff. But I wouldn't have my current job if it wasn't for my utter failures and what I learned from them.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: November, 1, 2013 - 1:21am 
Sergeant Major Manf

Yeah, after reading up some, it looks like things havn't changed much, so I at least have the basic format. I don't want to update linked-in at this point because I know they monitor it. Interviewing again will be interesting. I think I have had about 7 interviews in my life (4 were for the company I work with, but strangely not a single was with the manager that hired me. I got pulled out of the list of all co-ops that they wanted to hire, and essentially got the job I do because I had "makes a mean hoggie" under a personality section since I had no work experience then. The other guys in the group singled me out because of that as they figured I would fit right in (and were right)).

PostPosted: November, 1, 2013 - 9:25am 
Level 27 Gardener

I wouldn't worry about them monitoring your LinkedIn. I'd just update it. There's no harm in that. They can't expect you to not update your resume from time to time.

PostPosted: November, 1, 2013 - 11:30am 
Shamoozal Legend

Yeah, who cares if they see you updating it. I don't understand what the fear is.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: November, 1, 2013 - 1:13pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

You should never feel nervous about updating linkedin stuff. Its pretty common place now. sorry for the trouble dude. been through it 3 times now. it sucks ass. i update my resume every month now. i even update the template i use every quarter or so. i also take every call from recruiters. even if just to chat with them and let them know i am happy. its good to make a connection with people. recruiters are the best way to bypass the HR wall. also jason is dead on with the keywords thing. use the same words as many times as you can without it being weird. that's how the searching algorithms work. so for instance i want business analysis and project management work, so i have sme and sdlc and business process rengineering and shit like that all over my resume. as he suggested i also have different resumes for different types of positions. although i only really use one now because thats the only type of work i go after.

fyi, the "bad" job market is bullshit and is really pissing me off. corporations are using the media hype about the economy to their advantage to craft a workforce that will work themselves to death for unfair pay because they feel lucky to have a job. the economy has rebounded and companies have been making record profits again. sure in some cases businesses get in trouble, but it is because of poor leadership, not the economy..and that always happened. people have been fed so much bullshit they dont dare complain about anything or look for other jobs because they feel completely dispensable. /rant

PostPosted: November, 1, 2013 - 11:18pm 
Level 27 Gardener

I actually just put a slightly updated resume out there last Friday. I'm dealing with some new management and I'm thinking maybe it's time I move on, or be let go. Part of me wants to ride it out until I get let go because I'll get a pretty decent severance package (we usually get 2 weeks for each year we've been there, and I'm a month away from hitting year 5) but at the same time I don't want to risk it.

My resume update was pretty simple, didn't tweak too much. I did not tailor it to the jobs I applied for at all. Anyway, a dude at a creative recruitment center based out of Philly got a hold of me yesterday. Said my resume sounds great and he'd like to see a portfolio. The portfolio is the tricky part of being in the art/design world. It's one thing to say you have the skill, it's another thing to show it. My resume probably sounds a lot better than my actual work.

So the dude wants a portfolio and that is something I haven't put together since 2008. It was different in 2008. People still printed their portfolio on paper or made large PDFs. Tonight I was about to start designing a PDF with my work in it, but when I started to get files I realized that these large infographics would just be too hard to deal with in a PDF. I also don't feel like creating this big bloated portfolio site, so I thought, why not just throw this shit up on Imgur? It has pretty decent compression on images, it's all ready to be viewed on some kind of smart phone or tablet, and the shit is all nice and hosted for me. I'm not sure if it's tacky or not, but I'm willing to try something different. What is there to really lose? So I put up a bunch of things here

http://imgur.com/a/0lTNg

I'll see how it goes, but I'm going to think on it over the weekend before I pass the URL over to the recruiter. He claims he has all sorts of great jobs, hahaha, so we'll see.

PostPosted: November, 6, 2013 - 1:20pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

Well, today is D-Day. I have yet to see a post-it note or voicemail from my manager... Group meeting at 1pm (last few times the meeting was for the people who survived)...

PostPosted: November, 6, 2013 - 1:23pm 
Sergeant Major Manf

Phil wrote:
I actually just put a slightly updated resume out there last Friday. I'm dealing with some new management and I'm thinking maybe it's time I move on, or be let go. Part of me wants to ride it out until I get let go because I'll get a pretty decent severance package (we usually get 2 weeks for each year we've been there, and I'm a month away from hitting year 5) but at the same time I don't want to risk it.

Phil, I hear you on that part. I think we get 1 week per year. I say make them have to let you go unless you find some incredibly awesome new job that lands in your lap which has a huge raise. They want you to leave on your own so they don't have to pay you what you are owed.

PostPosted: November, 6, 2013 - 1:31pm 
Shamoozal Legend

That shouldn't deter you from looking for a new job. You have to think of the opportunity cost of staying with the old job. Is it really worth it to stay with a miserable job just to hope for a severance? How long are you willing to wait?

PostPosted: November, 6, 2013 - 1:38pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Yeah I don't want to wait around for that. If something solid comes up, I'll go for it.

That said, if I got let go tomorrow I'd be okay with it. I'd at least get to enjoy the holidays.

PostPosted: November, 6, 2013 - 1:39pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

yeah, if you aren't feeling it, start looking.

PostPosted: November, 6, 2013 - 9:00pm 
Purple Heart

I had my final interview with Geico a week ago today...Went great the manager said she had to travel to Buffalo and she would be in touch. I am hoping she calls soon. The position doesn't start until 12/9 so she has time.

PostPosted: November, 6, 2013 - 11:02pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Cool, good luck dude.

PostPosted: November, 8, 2013 - 12:56pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Good luck.

I actually have to do a phone screen with a guy today. He's actually originally from NJ and went to Rutgers.

PostPosted: February, 10, 2014 - 10:38pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I'm officially going to talk to someone at Blizzard for the phone screen some time in the next few weeks. I feel bad already. They've already spent this much time and effort to schedule me and I'm basically going to tell them I'm not actually going to take a job even if they offered me one. But I definitely still want to talk to them to see what type of stuff they're working on.