Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently September, 2, 2014 - 7:41pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chain schools and Internet universities
PostPosted: May, 18, 2011 - 3:18pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

Chain schools being phoenix university and places like the art institute. The way these schools operate is they know for a fact most of the kids there will drop out and accomplish nothing, but they still take out the loans to pay for the classes. I constantly see and hear commercials for online law degrees that let you sit for the bar exam. They say in 3 years you'll be able to practice law. That statement alone makes it obvious that it's a scam, it probably costs insane amounts of money. Online classes: never take them.

Post subject: Re: Chain schools and Internet universities
PostPosted: May, 18, 2011 - 3:44pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

I think you will find there are many folks here who are not fans of the way AI operates. I am actually surprised this thread doesn't exist already.

I will add another few gripes

1. the credits you get are completely worthless anywhere else
2. they flood the market with morons who have the same degree you do. to the point where hiring managers just don't even entertain hiring people who have graduated form there. their reputation in the market place is absolute garbage
3. they should at least make people take a literacy test before acceptance. i had people cheating off me in the english classes, who i swear couldn't really read.

all that being said, my teachers were mostly pretty good and i learned a lot. i think it is mostly an administrative problem.

PostPosted: May, 18, 2011 - 3:51pm 
High School Bully

William Smith wrote:
Chain schools being phoenix university and places like the art institute. The way these schools operate is they know for a fact most of the kids there will drop out and accomplish nothing, but they still take out the loans to pay for the classes. I constantly see and hear commercials for online law degrees that let you sit for the bar exam. They say in 3 years you'll be able to practice law. That statement alone makes it obvious that it's a scam, it probably costs insane amounts of money. Online classes: never take them.

If I ever go back to school it'll be online classes. I just can't do the whole classroom setting. It's impossible for me. My mind wanders and I just don't pay attention to anything. Put a pen in my hand with a notebook in front of me and if I find you the least bit boring I'm going to draw pictures. I purposely don't bring a pen and paper to meetings with me to this day because I will end up drawing. Even in all of my AIPH classes I did this.

Places like AIPH aren't the best, and the school will continue to push you through even if you're failing to make more money. I was friends with one guy whose work was DREADFUL. Not only was it dreadful but he barely ever did it. He'd fail class after class. Instead of doing homework he'd stay up all night playing Gamecube and wait for Gyroids to come out the next morning in Animal Crossing so he could get them before other people. That's how his priorities were. They said if you continued to do poorly they would remove but they never removed him. They just kept taking his money and he just kept spending money. Sure you can fault the school for basically being criminals, but he should have known that place wasn't for him. That said, if you do the work and do well you can still come out with some decent knowledge. School is always about what you yourself put into it.

PostPosted: May, 18, 2011 - 3:55pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I know people that did online courses and did fine. I find it hard to do online courses. I'd rather be in a classroom with the teacher. It's like the difference between working at work or working at home. I don't think I would ever get any work done at home.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: May, 18, 2011 - 3:55pm 
High School Bully

IratePrimate wrote:
I think you will find there are many folks here who are not fans of the way AI operates. I am actually surprised this thread doesn't exist already.

2. they flood the market with morons who have the same degree you do. to the point where hiring managers just don't even entertain hiring people who have graduated form there. their reputation in the market place is absolute garbage
3. they should at least make people take a literacy test before acceptance. i had people cheating off me in the english classes, who i swear couldn't really read.

all that being said, my teachers were mostly pretty good and i learned a lot. i think it is mostly an administrative problem.

This is a really good complaint. It's true, AI students have a poor rep. Because they push everyone through, like Irate said, they get the same degree. In fact, I think I'm actually at a point in my life where I'm going to start leaving my education from AI off of my resume. You can kind of swing that in the art world as long as your work holds up. That's the good thing about a creative job, it's easier to show people what you're capable of through creative samples and portfolios.

And yeah the credits are worthless, which is another reason I'm hesitant to go back to school. Who knows what will be accepted.

PostPosted: May, 18, 2011 - 3:56pm 
High School Bully

Russell Casse wrote:
I don't think I would ever get any work done at home.

I'm the complete opposite. The days I work from home I actually do more work than I do when I'm in here because I feel the need to prove I was doing work. And I love not being bothered by anyone.

PostPosted: May, 18, 2011 - 4:06pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

Phil wrote:
If I ever go back to school it'll be online classes. I just can't do the whole classroom setting.

I don't really see the point of most online courses for art/animation when you could just go read about it and get the same thing.

There's a difference between these scam schools and say taking an online course at a university, in one of them you can have an exchange with your professor on how you can improve and what you need to do better. But just paying to take a class to read something you can find for free is silly.

Phil wrote:
They just kept taking his money and he just kept spending money. Sure you can fault the school for basically being criminals, but he should have known that place wasn't for him. .

Yeah it is his fault, but instead of going out into society and getting a job, this kind of a person is just raped by debt for a long long time

There's actually a case in california to shut down a lot of the online universities.

PostPosted: May, 18, 2011 - 5:35pm 
Artist of Life

IratePrimate wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you go?

PostPosted: May, 19, 2011 - 11:19am 
Shamoozal Warrior

art institute of atlanta

PostPosted: May, 23, 2011 - 8:33pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

I took an online Security+ class this semester, in addition to a traditional classroom CCNA class at the local community college. I can say that i will never ever take an online class again. It's just not engaging enough for me. I found it really hard to keep up with shit, and there was little to no discussion. I ended up getting an A in the class, but it was seriously harder than the CCNA class, which should not be the case, considering i had absolutely no background in anything Cisco, or the IOS/CLI.

TL;DR: online classes: not for me.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]