Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently October, 25, 2014 - 7:54am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game Club Thread
PostPosted: January, 28, 2012 - 8:24pm 
High School Bully

Bowie wrote:
I listened to a bit of the last podcast, my first time listening to a podcast. Anyway, I was pretty interested in the game so I gave it a little run today. Its good enough to make me keep wanting to go back, but I agree with Phil in that the handling is just a little bit off of the original games, enough for me to get annoyed. I thought the swimming was pretty rough. I got to the end of Zelda and lost my last guy with a few hits left, that was pretty annoying. I think its pretty funny that they made the blocks you have to move shine so people would know to move them, I thought it was pretty obvious without that.

Cool, man. Thanks for checking one of them out.

I was kind of afraid of the save feature myself so I didn't test it out. I left the game open in a tab for a week and never shut my PC down (I usually just put it into sleep). So that's how I got out of that.

I also thought it was kinda funny/weird they made the blocks shine. I guess it's for those people that just never played Zelda before and to keep the pace up.

PostPosted: January, 28, 2012 - 8:28pm 
Purple Heart

I don't think they shined in the beta, so that's probably the case.

PostPosted: January, 28, 2012 - 9:32pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

I played 3 separate times and the saves stayed, last time it didn't. My browser clears history cache cookies, everytime its closed down, so I'm surprised it worked at all. That program to use your PS3 controller is pretty cool.

PostPosted: February, 6, 2012 - 11:25pm 
Jobs

EGGC is among the 'Most Subscribed' Gaming podcasts on the Zune Marketplace! We're sitting there next to podcasts from Giant Bomb, 1up, IGN and The Escapist!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: February, 6, 2012 - 11:31pm 
Purple Heart

Fuckin' awesome dudes, Congrats!

PostPosted: February, 7, 2012 - 11:25pm 
High School Bully

Nearly finished Bastion I think. Really just blowing through it now just to "win it."

Narrator was turned off and replaced with subtitles for this play session.

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 12:55am 
The Bearer of Truths

Phil wrote:
Narrator was turned off and replaced with subtitles for this play session.

Dude, what. What. Might as well have not played it.

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 9:41am 
High School Bully

Awful. I couldn't take it anymore. He just kept fucking going. It got to a point where I wasn't even paying attention to a word he was saying. I realized I didn't care about the story, so I shut him up and enjoyed the music. Haven't done that since MadWorld.

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 10:24am 
Purple Heart

Phil wrote:
Awful. I couldn't take it anymore. He just kept fucking going. It got to a point where I wasn't even paying attention to a word he was saying. I realized I didn't care about the story, so I shut him up and enjoyed the music. Haven't done that since MadWorld.

He is kinda hard to hear anyways, I was always to focused on killing everything. I don't think that the narration messed very well with the gameplay.

Last edited by phantomspiker on February, 8, 2012 - 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 10:49am 
High School Bully

Yeah, there are moments where you're just swarmed by bad guys, the last thing I want to do is pay attention to this asshole explaining how "another creature lunges from the darkness" or whatever the fuck he's talking about. Just STFU and let me concentrate on the mass murders I'm committing here.

I like this game, but I'm gonna be bringing the poop on Thursday.

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 11:32am 
Purple Heart

Phil wrote:
Yeah, there are moments where you're just swarmed by bad guys, the last thing I want to do is pay attention to this asshole explaining how "another creature lunges from the darkness" or whatever the fuck he's talking about. Just STFU and let me concentrate on the mass murders I'm committing here.

I like this game, but I'm gonna be bringing the poop on Thursday.

Good.

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 12:42pm 
Purple Heart

Can't wait to hear the poop being slung. I bet Randy loved it.

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 1:07pm 
Shamoozal Legend

hahahaha, I love it when you shit on things he loves.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 1:44pm 
High School Bully

I don't know his stance on the game so yeah, I'll probably be the guy that ends up being a crap head... again.

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 1:47pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Nah, you just give them a dose of reality. You're educating them. It's one thing to shit on things just to shit on things (the majority of the internet), it's another when you have legitimate complaints.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: February, 8, 2012 - 1:51pm 
The Bearer of Truths

I planned to replay this, but then I got the flu. That is my excuse. I'll try to clean up the review I posted when I beat it.

PostPosted: February, 9, 2012 - 2:48pm 
The Bearer of Truths

Ugh, I remembered writing a long review for this game, but apparently that was not true...Anywaaaaaaaaaaays...

Bastion is definitely overrated, but that's not to say it's bad. The combat works well, and never gave me much of a problem, save for the lock-on for ranged weapons. All the different weapons were great to try out to find what worked best for your dude, and the challenge areas for each weapon were a nice little additional thing to do.

The narrator is a really neat concept, and most of the time is great to listen to while you go about your business, but I have some issues with it. First, having tons of exposition during lengthy waves of enemies isn't a great way to have your story stick. Second, the narrator is great for characterizing the world, but, I felt, didn't give much of any character to the actual characters themselves. That latter point made that last decision you make in the game really baffling to me.

That whole last level is worthy of discussion and the reuse of the word 'baffling.' Why would they give you a shitty bull ram to force you to use for the whole level when you've been building an arsenal and figuring out your load-out the entire game? And why is there a funky jump mechanic?! Am I going to start driving a car in a moment, too!?

Feel free to cut that up into a tl;dr. I got a speech to write for class now :cry:

PostPosted: February, 9, 2012 - 2:54pm 
Purple Heart

Dante369 wrote:
Ugh, I remembered writing a long review for this game, but apparently that was not true...Anywaaaaaaaaaaays...

Bastion is definitely overrated, but that's not to say it's bad. The combat works well, and never gave me much of a problem, save for the lock-on for ranged weapons. All the different weapons were great to try out to find what worked best for your dude, and the challenge areas for each weapon were a nice little additional thing to do.

The narrator is a really neat concept, and most of the time is great to listen to while you go about your business, but I have some issues with it. First, having tons of exposition during lengthy waves of enemies isn't a great way to have your story stick. Second, the narrator is great for characterizing the world, but, I felt, didn't give much of any character to the actual characters themselves. That latter point made that last decision you make in the game really baffling to me.

That whole last level is worthy of discussion and the reuse of the word 'baffling.' Why would they give you a shitty bull ram to force you to use for the whole level when you've been building an arsenal and figuring out your load-out the entire game? And why is there a funky jump mechanic?! Am I going to start driving a car in a moment, too!?

Feel free to cut that up into a tl;dr. I got a speech to write for class now :cry:

That really sums up my feelings on the game too, adding that platforming mechanic at the END of the game was a serious WTF moment for me.

PostPosted: February, 9, 2012 - 2:58pm 
High School Bully

Totally planned on bringing up the jumping. You hit a lot of my points Dante.

PostPosted: February, 9, 2012 - 3:07pm 
The Bearer of Truths

I probably should've mentioned that the art and soundtrack were great...The art and soundtrack are great.

PostPosted: February, 9, 2012 - 3:18pm 
Purple Heart

Best parts of the game, hands down.

Good write up, Mr. Dante.

PostPosted: February, 9, 2012 - 3:23pm 
Jobs

https://twitter.com/#!/EGGameClub

PostPosted: February, 10, 2012 - 10:57am 
Jobs

http://elder-geek.com/2012/02/elder-gee ... 7-bastion/

PostPosted: February, 10, 2012 - 11:47am 
Peepers Peeled

my ears will hear it soon.

PostPosted: February, 10, 2012 - 12:41pm 
Peepers Peeled

"i had a slight thought when i was thinking about it"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next