Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently October, 25, 2014 - 5:26am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Blizzard's DOTA
PostPosted: February, 27, 2012 - 6:07am 
Corporal Shamoozal

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3991 ... ee-to-play

the game is going to be a DOTA game, more dota. yay. Though i'll probably pass on valve's dota and go for blizzards, love me some blizzard.

Post subject: Re: Blizzard's DOTA
PostPosted: February, 27, 2012 - 1:24pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I didn't even realise other people were making DOTA games until recently. I just always thought it was a Warcraft 3 custom map.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: February, 27, 2012 - 6:20pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

there's a big time beef brewing between Valve and Blizzard about the use of the name "DOTA."

PostPosted: February, 27, 2012 - 7:24pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

Aren't the guys who made the original custom map making valve's DOTA? Unless Blizzard had something in their Terms of agreement about custom maps in warcraft 3 being their property then the valve guys should be fine with taking the name. Even so it would probably have to say the name itself specifically.

PostPosted: February, 28, 2012 - 1:37pm 
Major Zero

I'm confused, whats DOTA?

PostPosted: February, 28, 2012 - 2:42pm 
Jobs

DOTA stands for Defense of the Ancients. It was a Warcraft 3 Mod that got super-popular. League of Legends and Heroes of Newarth are both stand-alone DOTA clones. So the guy that designed the original WC3 mod was hired by Valve to develop a new stand-alone game (lacking any Blizzard characters/branding) called DOTA2. Then Blizzard decided to make their own DOTA game using the Starcraft 2 engine called Blizzard DOTA. Blizzards game is going to feature various iconic characters from their games (Thrall, Arthas, Jaina, Jim Rainor, etc). It's basically going to be like Blizzard Smash Bros.

I dont really see what grounds Blizzard has to make a stink about the name. DOTA is an abbreviation for a mod of one of their games. Its not like Valve is calling it Warcraft: Defense of the Ancients 2.

PostPosted: February, 28, 2012 - 2:47pm 
The Bearer of Truths

Steve wrote:
I dont really see what grounds Blizzard has to make a stink about the name. DOTA is an abbreviation for a mod of one of their games. Its not like Valve is calling it Warcraft: Defense of the Ancients 2.

I think their argument is something to do with there being a clause in the user agreement of Warcraft 3 that gave them the rights to mods. I remember reading that when they said they were going to sue for the name.

PostPosted: February, 28, 2012 - 2:52pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Paulie Manf wrote:
I'm confused, whats DOTA?

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: February, 28, 2012 - 5:54pm 
Major Zero

Steve wrote:
DOTA stands for Defense of the Ancients. It was a Warcraft 3 Mod that got super-popular. League of Legends and Heroes of Newarth are both stand-alone DOTA clones. So the guy that designed the original WC3 mod was hired by Valve to develop a new stand-alone game (lacking any Blizzard characters/branding) called DOTA2. Then Blizzard decided to make their own DOTA game using the Starcraft 2 engine called Blizzard DOTA. Blizzards game is going to feature various iconic characters from their games (Thrall, Arthas, Jaina, Jim Rainor, etc). It's basically going to be like Blizzard Smash Bros.

Ohh gotcha. Name reminds me of the WoW bg Strand of the Ancients.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]