Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently September, 16, 2014 - 7:27pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7947 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 318  Next
 Post subject: Re: Review the last movie you saw
PostPosted: May, 25, 2012 - 10:55pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

Men in black 3

I'll give it a 8.5 out of 10, It had a slow start but from there it just gets better, and a mind blowing ending. It's less of a Will smith joke fest and more of a well rounded movie.

PostPosted: May, 26, 2012 - 12:10am 
Purple Heart

I saw it tonight too I liked it...Wayyyy better than the second one that's for sure...I'll give it a 7.5 to an 8.

PostPosted: May, 26, 2012 - 12:32am 
Shamoozal Legend

I thought the 2nd one was okay.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: May, 26, 2012 - 3:21am 
Corporal Shamoozal

First one was pretty great, second one was more of a popcorn movie, this one was a different sort of great.

I wish they brought that pug back though haha Well they kind of did

PostPosted: May, 30, 2012 - 10:08am 
Major Zero

Rented We bought a zoo from redbox the other day. Its a feel good movie, probably best if you watched it with the family. Matt Damon lost his wife and he's raising his two children alone, theres a lot of scenes where I almost shed some tears. Had some funny/heartfelt parts thoughout, and a happy ending. Good movie overall

PostPosted: May, 31, 2012 - 10:18am 
THE GENERAL

Hemingway & Gellhorn
This is an HBO movie that premiered on Monday. Its about the relationship between novelist Ernest Hemingway (Clive Owen) and war correspondent for a magazine Martha Gellhorn (Nicole Kidman). When they meet Hemingway is married but she eventually gives in to his advances and they end up marrying after his divorce. They travel the world writing about wars in Spain, China, Germany and having the most up and down relationship of all time. It takes places in the late 1930s into the 1940s. Hemingway is a real dickhead and Clive Owen is pretty awesome as him. I'm not a huge Kidman fan but she's also pretty damn good in this (not to mention some choice nudity). The film was put together really cool, giving it an old fashioned film look in certain scenes and splicing them into historic scenery. I was pretty impressed. HBO comes through again. And it was an interesting history lesson also. Its long, 2 hours and 40 minutes, so I watched it over the course of 2 nights. But it never got boring, I just didn't have the time in one night. Also appearances by Monk/Antonio from Wings, Lars from Metallica, Jacob from LOST, Paulo from LOST and sex offender Jeffrey Jones looking like a fatter, creepier version than when I saw him last.

PostPosted: May, 31, 2012 - 4:17pm 
THE GENERAL

oh yeah I watched this too.

Like Water
A documentary on current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. The documetary was done leading up to his fight in August 2010 against Chael Sonnen. At the time Anderson was highly criticized for his antics in the fight against Demian Maia where he was running away from him in the later rounds because he knew he had already won the majority decision. So it follows Anderson in Brazil for a little bit training and moving to LA to train for his new fight which would put him at the record for most consecutive wins, 12. He already had most consecutive title defenses, 6. The documentary was good. Its not one sided towards Anderson, he looks like a real prick when he doesnt want to meet with fans and gives shitty interviews to promote the fight. The Chael Sonnen parts are great because he treats pre fight hype like pro wrestling, cutting promos and trashing talking his opponent. In the end, Anderson gets his ass kicked for 4 and a half rounds and then catches Chael in a submission to win. Would have been a shitty way to end a documentary if he lost so I'm sure the filmmakers were happy. I'm not spoilerizing that because its an actual UFC fight that happened a couple years ago. Anyway, worth a watch for UFC fans and not too long, only about an hour I think.

The name of the doc is based on a quote from Bruce Lee.
"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend."

PostPosted: May, 31, 2012 - 7:11pm 
Purple Heart

That 11 win streak being the original record thing is misleading. Back then UFC was still tournaments and you had to win 3 fights to win the tournament. Royce was on a 7 fight winstreak when he entered the UFC 3 tournament. He beat Kimo then was unable to continue fighting, which is technically a loss via retirement by tournament format. Technically his streak is 8 since he forfeited a fight but they like to play around with his record so they say it's 11.

Technically Anderson broke the record for most consecutive UFC wins back in 2009. Also GSP and JDS are both technically ahead of Royce with 9 consecutive UFC wins each. Also Maynard and Fitch are tied with Royce at 8.

PostPosted: May, 31, 2012 - 10:15pm 
THE GENERAL

Alien
Popped in this DVD because its almost Prometheus time. So many similarities. They find a horseshoe shaped ship, much like we see in the Prometheus trailer, crashed on the Alien planet, they use the same space suits with the lights on top and of course they find that big ass chair looking thing with a dead alien in it. In Prometheus we see the alien getting in that chair. Anyway, this movie is goddamn awesome. So intense with a lot of edge of your seat type moments. Sigourney Weaver is great and so is the famous alien popping out of stomach scene, along with many many others. Still holds up after over 30 years. Shit man, thats old. Ridley Scott better have this new one live up the hype. I am pumped!

PostPosted: May, 31, 2012 - 10:33pm 
Purple Heart

I would watch Alien, but it's stuck in my dead PS3.

I love Alien more than any of the others in the series. So good.

PostPosted: June, 1, 2012 - 3:04am 
Corporal Shamoozal

Alien 1 and 2 were great, If i recall the other 2 were stinkers. I actually caught alien vs predator on TNT last night, and I remember it being a total piece of shit. To be honest it was a pretty good popcorn movie.

PostPosted: June, 1, 2012 - 3:09am 
Purple Heart

Yeah AVP is weird. It's terrible but it's easy to watch lol.

PostPosted: June, 1, 2012 - 3:37am 
Corporal Shamoozal

Nick wrote:
Yeah AVP is weird. It's terrible but it's easy to watch lol.

It has the 80s/90s 1 liners going on, which is always great.

PostPosted: June, 1, 2012 - 9:10am 
Purple Heart

Alien 1 and 2 are classics...I am a big fan of Aliens, but the other ones all stink especially in the beginning of three where they basically just destroy everything that happened in 2 in a 5 minute span. Most fans believe that 3 was all a dream while ripley was in cryo but I think they are just pissed that it was so bad.

PostPosted: June, 1, 2012 - 9:15am 
THE GENERAL

Alien 3 is David Fincher's first directed movie. I wonder if he thinks back on it and hates it.
Surprised he went on to do such awesome stuff. He went on to do Seven three years later.
Then again it was a big task to take on something already done by Ridley Scott and James Cameron. He didn't write the script so I guess its not entirely his fault.

PostPosted: June, 1, 2012 - 9:22am 
Purple Heart

I heard Alien 3 went through a development nightmare but most of the things in Alien 3 were Finchers idea, including the prison planet and the beginning of 3.

This is pretty interesting about Alien 3 too...

Quote:
In an early draft of Alien 3 written by William Gibson, Biehn's character Hicks (who had survived the events of Aliens) was to become the main protagonist, replacing Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver).[5] However, Walter Hill and David Giler penned the final script, which had Hicks killed off in the opening scene. Biehn, upon learning of his character's demise, demanded and received almost as much money for the use of his likeness in one scene as he had been paid for his role in Aliens.

PostPosted: June, 1, 2012 - 12:25pm 
Shamoozal Legend

I liked Alien 3. It kind of brought back the felling of Alien because they don't have guns and crap anymore. They don't have anything and have to figure out a way to kill it. Resurrection was terrible.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: June, 2, 2012 - 10:10am 
Shamoozal Vet

Bridesmaids

Finally got around to watching this. It was better than average, but I didn't think it was spectacular or anything. I've seen a lot of comparisons to it being a female version of the hangover. But the hangover was constantly escalating the comedy/outlandish shit and this movie had a lot of peaks and valleys.

- You were supposed to fire up. _We_ both fired _up_.

PostPosted: June, 2, 2012 - 3:47pm 
THE GENERAL

Escape from New York
Finally got around to watching this. Its a John Carpenter classic and I've never seen it. I was talked into seeing LA with Phil when it hit theaters. I think he mentioned that somewhere in here. And it was so over the top and in on the joke that I really enjoyed it (plus is had Buscemi). But the original was different. Its kind of boring compared to LA. Sure, Snake is still a badass and there's some unintentionally funny moments. But I like LA a lot more. In this one, Snake is hired to save the President who crashed into Manhattan Island Prison and is being held captive by The Duke (Isaac Hayes). Its pretty good. I enjoyed it but I didn't love it. Its funny, my wife walked in the room and tried to make a joke saying "what is this big trouble in little china 2?" And I told her nice try but its actually a good comparison because its from the same director. haha She thinks Big Trouble in Little China is stupid. Wouldn't let me name my kid Jack Burton Manfre. True story. Anyway, this one is now crossed off the list.

PostPosted: June, 2, 2012 - 6:49pm 
High School Bully

Johnny Manf wrote:
Escape from New York
Finally got around to watching this. Its a John Carpenter classic and I've never seen it. I was talked into seeing LA with Phil when it hit theaters. I think he mentioned that somewhere in here. And it was so over the top and in on the joke that I really enjoyed it (plus is had Buscemi). But the original was different. Its kind of boring compared to LA. Sure, Snake is still a badass and there's some unintentionally funny moments. But I like LA a lot more. In this one, Snake is hired to save the President who crashed into Manhattan Island Prison and is being held captive by The Duke (Isaac Hayes). Its pretty good. I enjoyed it but I didn't love it. Its funny, my wife walked in the room and tried to make a joke saying "what is this big trouble in little china 2?" And I told her nice try but its actually a good comparison because its from the same director. haha She thinks Big Trouble in Little China is stupid. Wouldn't let me name my kid Jack Burton Manfre. True story. Anyway, this one is now crossed off the list.

Pretty much agree completely. LA is a much more enjoyable film.

PostPosted: June, 2, 2012 - 7:54pm 
Purple Heart

Invisible Swordsman wrote:
Bridesmaids

Finally got around to watching this. It was better than average, but I didn't think it was spectacular or anything. I've seen a lot of comparisons to it being a female version of the hangover. But the hangover was constantly escalating the comedy/outlandish shit and this movie had a lot of peaks and valleys.

Yeah there were moments in Bridesmaids where I was dying laughing but there was some massively boring parts as well.

PostPosted: June, 3, 2012 - 2:00pm 
THE GENERAL

Snow White & the Huntsman
http://www.moviewiseguys.com/2012/06/sn ... eview.html

It was decent but not great. I like that they attempted to make it a little darker. Kristen Stewart is just terrible. Thor wasn't great either. The best part was Charlize Theron as the Evil Queen. She's a badass bitch and hot. Its still the classic Snow White story except the get an army together at the end to storm the Queen's castle. Snow White is not a warrior like the posters and trailer make her out to be. She's still the same Snow White but with a darker spin. The Dwarves were great. Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane, Nick Frost, Ray Winstone to name the more famous faces. Had some funny scenes but if I really think about it, they didn't have much of a point. Another summer blockbuster failure in my eyes. It was just OK.

PostPosted: June, 3, 2012 - 2:38pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Finally saw the Avengers last night. It's definitely the best of the series. I really enjoyed the 3D smoke. Who was the guy at the very end? I don't read the comics so I have no idea who he was.

PostPosted: June, 3, 2012 - 5:44pm 
Purple Heart

Thanos.

PostPosted: June, 3, 2012 - 10:29pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Oh, I know Thanos. But only from MvC2.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7947 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 244, 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250 ... 318  Next