Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently July, 24, 2014 - 1:01pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253 ... 317  Next
 Post subject: Re: Review the last movie you saw
PostPosted: June, 14, 2012 - 10:08am 
Shamoozal Warrior

i disagree completely. avatar is all looks, no substance.

PostPosted: June, 14, 2012 - 10:26am 
Purple Heart

I dunno I usually watch it when its on.

PostPosted: June, 14, 2012 - 12:38pm 
Corporal Shamoozal

IratePrimate wrote:
i disagree completely. avatar is all looks, no substance.

Dry spell goggles?

PostPosted: June, 17, 2012 - 8:11pm 
Shamoozal Legend

This is pretty hilarious.

Don't watch if you haven't seen Prometheus yet.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 2:49pm 
THE GENERAL

Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope
This is a new documentary from Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me) but not like his other ones where he's going around and taking part in the actual movie. This is strictly interviews and footage from Comic-Con. It documents the whole convention but also specifically follows a few people to get their stories. A couple of people trying to break into the comic book industry, a woman who designs costumes getting ready for a Mass Effect demonstration, a nerdy couple about to get engaged and the owner of a comic book store trying to make some cash. Its really interesting as most of Spurlock's documentaries are. Its funny too. Lots of interviews with Joss Whedon, Kevin Smith, Stan Lee, Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News and a lot of people in the comic industry. Definitely recommended for some of you comic nerds on here.

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 2:56pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Johnny Manf wrote:
This is a new documentary from Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me) but not like his other ones where he's going around and taking part in the actual movie. This is strictly interviews and footage from Comic-Con. It documents the whole convention but also specifically follows a few people to get their stories. A couple of people trying to break into the comic book industry, a woman who designs costumes getting ready for a Mass Effect demonstration, a nerdy couple about to get engaged and the owner of a comic book store trying to make some cash. Its really interesting as most of Spurlock's documentaries are. Its funny too. Lots of interviews with Joss Whedon, Kevin Smith, Stan Lee, Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News and a lot of people in the comic industry. Definitely recommended for some of you comic nerds on here.

Sounds cool, I want to watch it. There is another indie one I want to watch called Indie Game: The Movie. It's about the dudes that made Braid, Super Meat Boy, and Fez during their development process. It's the highest rated film on RT so far this year too!

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 3:00pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Is that movie on Netflix? Streaming, not DVDs.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 3:02pm 
THE GENERAL

Phil wrote:
Johnny Manf wrote:

Sounds cool, I want to watch it. There is another indie one I want to watch called Indie Game: The Movie. It's about the dudes that made Braid, Super Meat Boy, and Fez during their development process. It's the highest rated film on RT so far this year too!

Yeah I heard a lot of good things about Indie Game.
Tu, not sure if you were asking me or Phil but I don't think either are on Netflix yet. They had limited releases in theaters this year so not on video yet.
Comic Con was On Demand so a good copy popped up online. Not sure of any info on Indie Game.

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 3:14pm 
Level 27 Gardener

I think right now the only place Indie Game is available legally is through Steam of all places.

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 4:06pm 
Jobs

Finally saw The Avengers yesterday. Took my Dad to see it for Father's Day. Everyone said it was awesome and it was fucking awesome

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 4:22pm 
The Bearer of Truths

Prometheus definitely felt like it was from a Lost writer. All intrigue and no real worthwhile answers. I still enjoyed the cool sci-fi shit though.

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 4:24pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Did you watch my video?

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 4:30pm 
The Bearer of Truths

Russell Casse wrote:
Did you watch my video?

Yeah, it was great. Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

PostPosted: June, 18, 2012 - 7:31pm 
Purple Heart

Johnny Manf wrote:

Also apparently Doug Benson is making another movie with a parody title of a Spurlock movie. His first was Super High Me and now he's going to be doing "Chronic-Con Episode 420: A New Dope" or something like that.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 2:01pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Indie Game The Movie

This was pretty awesome. As you guys might know it follows a bit of the creation process of Meat Boy, Braid and Fez. Pretty inspiring stuff as far as just doing whatever it takes to complete your vision, and honestly it reminds me of how little I do for myself. All these guys are fucking out of their minds, but that's what makes them pretty brilliant. You can't be in the right mind to do what these guys have been able to do.

On a side note, it was neat hearing Randy from an episode of Elder-Speak in one of the highlight reels, and now I kind of want to give SMB another chance. And also, I want to go home tonight and work hard.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 3:45pm 
Level 27 Gardener

The FP

I think I may have loved this. After I saw the trailer I decided to download the movie and watch it. It is ABSURD. I mean, it is certainly awful... I mean, so fucking bad. It's totally in on the joke of course, but even though its in on the joke it doesn't completely excuse it. The movie is barely an hour and a half and I actually got a bit bored during some of it. There just isn't enough for them to work with here apparently.

Okay so the movie is about a turf war between two gangs over the FP (Frazier Park). The gangs settle their disputes over games of DDR, or in this case, Beat Beat Revelation. At the start of the movie BTRO, like the best DDR player, loses a game of DDR and dies just because he lost. It's not like the game shocks you when you lose or anything. He just dies because he dances so hard. At this point, BTRO's brother JTRO (a play on the actor, writer, directors actual name Jason Trost) decides he's done with the FP and that he'll never DDR again. So he leaves the gang alone.

Fast forward a year and now the FP has gone to shit. They try to get JTRO to come back because he's the only one that can end the turf wars for good. So the FP "going to shit" is that the current leading gang controls the liquor in town. Because they control it, people cant get drunk and become homeless. Because there are no homeless people, there are no one to feed the ducks, and now the ducks have left the town. They need JTRO to defeat the rival gang, gain control of the alcohol, and bring the ducks back into town. I am not even joking. That is the entire point of this movie.

So the movie is supposed to be funny and a knock on cheese ball 80s movies. It's heart is kind of in the right place. The big joke is that this movie is dead serious yet it's not meant to be taken seriously at all. The dialogue is ridiculous. It's a bunch of white dudes talking all ghetto yet so totally white. This is an actual conversation between the main character and the love interest early in the film.

"Whatchu been up to?"
"Cuttin logs and stuff..."
"Logs is chill."
"Yeah, they're fucking awesome."

The music is great. It's just nonstop beats. Whenever a car pulls up it has beats coming from it. Sometimes there are songs over top of songs, like whenever the love interest has a conversation with JTRO.

Even though I know its bad, I still found myself enjoying it for how bad it was.

So yes, this movie is absurd. The ending shot is the JTRO and the girlfriend looking off into the sunset. They kiss, and then she gives him a blow job.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 4:10pm 
Level 27 Gardener

The first 10 minutes is all you need to know if you want to see more

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 4:12pm 
THE GENERAL

HAHAHHA I can't believe you discovered this today and then immediately watched it.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 4:23pm 
Purple Heart

Phil wrote:
Indie Game The Movie

This was pretty awesome. As you guys might know it follows a bit of the creation process of Meat Boy, Braid and Fez. Pretty inspiring stuff as far as just doing whatever it takes to complete your vision, and honestly it reminds me of how little I do for myself. All these guys are fucking out of their minds, but that's what makes them pretty brilliant. You can't be in the right mind to do what these guys have been able to do.

On a side note, it was neat hearing Randy from an episode of Elder-Speak in one of the highlight reels, and now I kind of want to give SMB another chance. And also, I want to go home tonight and work hard.

I watched this last night. Really enjoyable flick. Came out of it with more love for the SMB guys, especially Edmund. He seems like a really cool guy. Phil Fish really loves the smell of his own shit. His shitty attitude made me want to fast forward anytime they talked to him.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 4:29pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Nate wrote:
Phil wrote:
Indie Game The Movie

I watched this last night. Really enjoyable flick. Came out of it with more love for the SMB guys, especially Edmund. He seems like a really cool guy. Phil Fish really loves the smell of his own shit. His shitty attitude made me want to fast forward anytime they talked to him.

Really? I kind of felt bad for Phil Fish. I'm glad that Fez has done well for him so far (I think).

edit: And John, me either. I knew if I didn't watch it now I'd never watch it. I'm glad I did.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 6:19pm 
Purple Heart

It seems like all the developers had the same kinds of struggles, but Fish was constantly saying fuck this, fuck that, what the fuck is his problem, etc etc. He seems like a miserable person. Maybe I'm just projecting because of things he's said outside of this doc, and the fact that I don't think his game is as genius as a lot of other people seem to think.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 7:26pm 
Purple Heart

You're insane. Fez is completely genius. Most of the people I've heard that say otherwise are people who either only did the platforming and never got to all the insane puzzle stuff underneath it or people who were unable to solve the puzzles and got bitter. I only got a handful of the anticube puzzles on my own but even using a guide I really dig the puzzles and I think they are very clever.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 7:41pm 
Purple Heart

I hated that hieroglyphic bullshit. I have better things to do with my time that go around transcribing all that crap. It should have been integrated better.

Sorry dude, I want fun games. Just because a few of your puzzles are clever, doesn't mean you have a fun game.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 7:50pm 
Level 27 Gardener

I haven't played Fez so I don't really know or can't comment on the actual game. I just know that dude was on the brink of suicide if he couldn't finish his game, so he of course was floating around in a completely different state of reality. All of those guys were. McMillan to a lesser extent, but even he was bad. Considering the fact he spent the last five years of his life devoted to his game, I could understand why he was like that.

I was also completely able to relate with his losing touch of what Fez was. He wasn't sure if it was shit, or great, or what. He just knew he was tired of looking at it. I get that way with every single one of my shorts. You just look at them for so long, and you know them inside and out, and you work on them for so long you just don't even know whats good or whats not until a different set of eyes sees it. Also, him redoing the game three times, again, something I can completely relate to. I know how I get with these tiny projects, so I couldn't even imagine how he felt about this single project, stretched over the course of years AND with almost zero funding and income for that period of time. I'd probably consider death too.

What I'd like to look into more was the stuff about his partner. Apparently the partner was on Twitter going nuts about this movie, or something, I saw a thread briefly on GAF about it.

PostPosted: June, 20, 2012 - 8:15pm 
Purple Heart

Nate wrote:
I hated that hieroglyphic bullshit. I have better things to do with my time that go around transcribing all that crap. It should have been integrated better.

Sorry dude, I want fun games. Just because a few of your puzzles are clever, doesn't mean you have a fun game.

That's exactly why you don't need to do it. Just find a cipher online, I have yet to need to transcribe anything insanely long. I just looked up the giant text the cube gives you at the beginning. You say "integrate it better" but I think that it is completely fine as is and making it too easy would take away from it.

Also you want fun games but what you consider fun is subjective. I've had a ton of fun with Fez and plenty of others have as well.

I'm not saying you have to play it or you have to enjoy it. But you can't deny that it did some very interesting stuff with its puzzles. Also you may not find the actual puzzles and such genius, but the fact that they marketed this as a simple platformer with an interesting twist (the rotation) and then slipped in a completely different second game within that that has provided hours of unexpected entertainment for the people who love solving difficult puzzles seems pretty genius to me.

Hell when you start your second playthrough if you don't want to bother with the platforming anymore they give you a way to do that hitting up 4x then holding jump makes Gomez fly.

But whatever. To each their own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253 ... 317  Next