Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently July, 24, 2014 - 9:00am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 317  Next
 Post subject: Re: Review the last movie you saw
PostPosted: July, 4, 2012 - 2:53pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Spiderman

Decided to watch this while the girls were sleeping instead of cleaning the house. I've had this bluray set since the day Spiderman 3 came out (bought the Trilogy pack) and I never watched it until now.

So anyway, I still love it and MUCH MUCH more than the new one. The pacing is so much better, the emotional bits I think hit harder, DaFoe is a WAAAAY better bad guy, the music is better, I could probably go on and on. So yeah this movie is still fucking awesome. The CGI has not held up very well, but it's not awful enough to take you out of the action sequences which are still pretty exciting. I think because people hated Spiderman 3 so much that they retro actively thought the first two were bad as a result. They're not. This movie is great.

Also this movie does not have a Cold Play training montage, which is a good thing. It also has Bruce Campbell and Macho Man on screen at once.

PostPosted: July, 4, 2012 - 6:10pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Guess what I just watched Spiderman 3 and I loved that again too. HAHAHAHA.

Only things I genuinely don't like are toward the end. The news report is awful. The message in the web is too absurd. Harry's Butler telling him about how he thinks Goblin died is a little lame. How does Venom know about Flint to even get him involved? Other than that, still enjoyed the shit out of it.

PostPosted: July, 4, 2012 - 10:40pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Oh yeah just finished Spiderman 2 and it was still fucking awesome. There are a lot of secret cameos in that movie, like Jin from Lost and Joel McHale. There were a bunch of others but I already forget them. The Bluray offered an extended cut of the movie. Some of the extra scenes were decent. The elevator one with him and Hal Sparks was a lot longer. I think I prefer the shorter version actually. However it did include this scene which killed me.

Anyway, yeah it's still amazing and still the best one by a long shot, though 1 is really close behind it.

Also order is 2 > 1 > 3 > TAS

PostPosted: July, 5, 2012 - 9:02am 
THE GENERAL

The Amazing Spider-Man
http://www.moviewiseguys.com/2012/07/th ... eview.html

I enjoyed it. Not as much as Raimi's first 2 but still, the action scenes were pretty awesome and I loved how Spidey moved around. The backstory origin was a little too long. I mean, its only 10 years old and we're seeing it all over again in detail. Andrew Garfield was great though, probably the better Peter, definitely the better actor. So was Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben. But I don't want to compare them too much, they're different movies. But I did enjoy it for the most part. I kind of laughed at Lizard sometimes, he wasnt as good as Goblin or Doc. But he was cool to look at.

PostPosted: July, 5, 2012 - 12:19pm 
Shamoozal Legend

They should have just remade the cartoon intro as the back story.

The guitar in that intro is still the best. Also, the animation was pretty good for a Saturday morning cartoon.

And yeah, I have zero interest to see the new Spiderman.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: July, 5, 2012 - 12:34pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

i really liked that cartoon. it was way better then most of the other shit on tv at the time. ever tried to go back and watch xmen? it does not hold up as well as spiderman did.

PostPosted: July, 5, 2012 - 12:35pm 
Shamoozal Legend

Yeah, I've been slowly watching all the X-men ones and they're not very good. Spiderman still holds up very well though.

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: July, 5, 2012 - 2:51pm 
Artist of Life

Russell Casse wrote:
Yeah, I've been slowly watching all the X-men ones and they're not very good. Spiderman still holds up very well though.

MARY JANEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: July, 5, 2012 - 2:56pm 
Shamoozal Warrior

AHAHAHAHAHA!! I thought the exact same thing.

PostPosted: July, 5, 2012 - 3:48pm 
THE GENERAL

Menace II Society
Work is slow and boring because everyone took off so I looked for full movies on Youtube. Found this one and I've never seen it before. Its about a kid growing up in the hood in LA. He's part of the drug scene and his friends are all criminals. So the whole story is about him trying to survive shootings, cops, etc. Its actually a pretty damn good movie. Reminded me of The Wire. Its really violent and probably one of the top contenders for most F bombs in a movie. Jada Pinkett Smith played the kid's love interest. Not many other recognizable faces. Its from The Hughes Brothers and was released in 1993. They haven't done a whole lot since then. Dead Presidents, From Hell and The Book of Eli are their only other films. One the brothers branched out to make a film on his own and its coming out in 2013 with Mark Wahlberg and Russell Crowe that sounds interesting, called Broken City.

PostPosted: July, 7, 2012 - 11:30am 
THE GENERAL

Jeff, Who Lives At Home
Jason Segal is a 30 year old stoner slacker living in his mom's basement. He's obsessed with the movie Signs and thinks there could be signs in his own life to push him towards his destiny. A routine trip to Home Depot for some wood glue becomes an adventure when he runs into his brother, Ed Helms, and they discover his wife might be cheating on him. So they follow more signs and track her down around town. Its a really short movie, only 83 minutes, and it felt like a short film because it went so fast. It had a good amount of laughs and an interesting story to follow. It was cool seeing the signs that were helping Jeff get to where he needed to be. Segal and Helms were great together but its not just straight up comedy, there was a lot of drama also. It actually tugged at the heart strings a bit at the end. But I did enjoy it. There was a weird side story with the mom (Susan Sarandon) and a secret admirer at work that probably could have been cut out altogether. But the rest was good stuff.

PostPosted: July, 8, 2012 - 12:57pm 
THE GENERAL

Recount
This is an HBO movie from 2008 that is about the 2000 Presidential Election when all kinds of confusion went on in the state of Florida which ended up deciding who won between Bush and Gore. It was the first year I was eligible to vote and I didn't. I knew all this was going on but didn't really follow details so it was really interesting. Crazy shit went on. Kevin Spacey played the head lawyer for Gore's team. Tom Wilkinson played the lawyer for Bush. Denis Leary, Laura Dern, Ed Begley, Bob Balaban and some others round out the cast. It was a really good movie. I may not be a big political guy, don't really follow it much, but all these movies about politics always interest me. Especially ones that cover something that happened in my lifetime. Its crazy to think there's a small possibility that Gore won. I mean he was never on top even with the various recounts. But it was always a different number. Makes you think other elections could have been screwed up too. Anyway, good flick that I've always wanted to see. And hey, its not TV, its HBO so you know its going to be good.

I DVR'd Judge Dredd and I might go watch that now. Haven't seen in in probably over 10 years and the remake comes out soon so I wanted to be able to compare.

PostPosted: July, 8, 2012 - 6:50pm 
Level 27 Gardener

Johnny Manf wrote:
I DVR'd Judge Dredd and I might go watch that now. Haven't seen in in probably over 10 years and the remake comes out soon so I wanted to be able to compare.

Prediction: One is bad, the other is bad. Only difference is the Stallone one will probably be awesome.

PostPosted: July, 8, 2012 - 8:05pm 
THE GENERAL

Judge Dredd
This movie is so bad. Not even laughable bad. I guess I laughed at how many times they said "law", I mean it could be a drinking game and you would get hammered. But its so cheesy with terrrrrrrrible dialogue. The action scenes aren't even good, just people getting shot. And most of the plot is just dumb including the bad guy. If you don't know what its about then this is the basic synopsis. In the future the cities are governed by Judges. They ride around finding crimes and decide people's fate right on the spot. Stallone is Judge Dredd, a notorious Judge that doesn't take any shit and basically sentences everyone to Death. He gets framed for a murder and spends the rest of the movie trying to clear his name. And Rob Schneider is thrown in for comic relief although nothing funny actually happens. Diane Lane is also a Judge that helps Dredd out throughout the movie. It stunk. I don't remember ever really liking it but I thought it was kind of "so bad its good". Well its not. Its just bad. The new one has to be better than this crap.

PostPosted: July, 8, 2012 - 8:10pm 
Level 27 Gardener

HAhahahah oh boy. Was the robot cool looking? I remember him being pretty neat for the time.

PostPosted: July, 8, 2012 - 8:25pm 
Shamoozal Vet

Just finished Hangover 2.
So glad I didn't watch it in theatres. Like pretty much everyone else said, it's the same movie as the first and I didn't think it was as funny. I thought Zack Galififuckicantspelis was more annoying than funny in this for some reason too. If it wasn't for nard dog I'm not sure I would've even enjoyed it.

- You were supposed to fire up. _We_ both fired _up_.

PostPosted: July, 9, 2012 - 12:18am 
Shamoozal Legend

I just finished The FP. Man, I don't know what to think. It's absolutely ridiculous. Where is the video of the original film he shot?

PostPosted: July, 9, 2012 - 7:12am 
THE GENERAL

Phil wrote:
HAhahahah oh boy. Was the robot cool looking? I remember him being pretty neat for the time.

Yeah I did think the robot was cool even though he didn't really do anything. Just his movements were cool.

PostPosted: July, 9, 2012 - 9:30am 
Level 27 Gardener

Russell Casse wrote:
I just finished The FP. Man, I don't know what to think. It's absolutely ridiculous. Where is the video of the original film he shot?

I forget where he had it. Just do a YT search for The FP Classic or something. It should pop up.

PostPosted: July, 9, 2012 - 11:52am 
Peepers Peeled

i watched judge dredd not too long ago on TV. its fucking awful. the robot is still pretty cool though.

PostPosted: July, 12, 2012 - 10:39am 
THE GENERAL

Synecdoche, New York
This is one of the weirdest fucking movies of all time. Its written and directed by Charlie Kauffman who wrote Being John Malkovich, Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Those are all weird in their own right. This is the first time he directed though. It stars Philip Seymour Hoffman as a theater director whose life starts to fall apart while he is planning a new play. Its all about the women in his life (Catherine Keener, Samantha Morton, Michelle Williams). The movie starts normal as can be. Eventually his wife and daughter leave him and then it just turns weird. He's planning this play in a giant warehouse where he builds a life size replica of New York City. And the play is about his life and it starts overlapping where the people in the play are doing things in his life and he has duplicate versions of himself. Its so weird. SO WEIRD! For instance Samantha Morton's character lives in a house that is constantly on fire and they acknowledge it but no one cares. Some kind of symbolism there. Its confusing as hell. Definitely a movie you have to watch a bunch of times. I liked it. I could love it if I keep my interest and read what people thought and watch it some more. Kauffman's brain just works on an entirely different level. I was not expecting this kind of movie at all. Its in full on Youtube for anyone interested.

PostPosted: July, 12, 2012 - 10:43am 
Level 27 Gardener

Sounds kinda cool. Surprise it's on YT in full. Did it not get a theater release?

PostPosted: July, 12, 2012 - 10:48am 
THE GENERAL

Phil wrote:
Sounds kinda cool. Surprise it's on YT in full. Did it not get a theater release?

It did. Mike saw it in theaters. I guess I just don't remember him saying how weird it was.
It'll probably get taken down. Especially since there's some nudity. Youtube peeps probably just don't know about it yet.

PostPosted: July, 13, 2012 - 8:04am 
THE GENERAL

I watched Taken last night because the sequel comes out this year. I'm trying to refresh myself on movies before the sequels and remakes.
I did Total Recall, Judge Dredd and now Taken. Its still badass. Liam Neeson is great. But there's definitely a lot of cheesiness and I can't imagine what the new one brings.

Bourne Ultimatum is up next on Netflix.
I should totally watch The Dark Knight before Rises but I feel like I've seen it 10 times already.

PostPosted: July, 13, 2012 - 10:48pm 
THE GENERAL

Moonrise Kingdom
This is the latest Wes Anderson movie. I like Wes Anderson flicks but I never love them. I feel like he's the hipster director. The hipsters love this guy. And the humor is right up their alley. Anyway this one is about two young kids who run away together because they're in love. The family of the girl (Bill Murray & Frances McDormand) get the police (Bruce Willis) to search for her. He's already searching for the boy who is an orphan and was reported missing by his scout leader (Edward Norton). The usual Wes Anderson type dry humor ensues. There are some generally funny moments, nothing too hilarious though. The kid actors are actually really good. I was surprised its mainly about them and not about the big name A listers that populate the film. The end actually got pretty intense when a hurricane hits the island they live on while the search for the kids continue. There are some really cool moments, but again I didn't love it.

Actually I've never seen Bottle Rocket, Rushmore or Fantastic Mr. Fox so I'm not really an Anderson expert.
But The Darjeeling Limited and The Royal Tenenbaums are pretty good. Wasn't a fan of The Life Aquatic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 317  Next