Shamoozal.com - Smorgas Board

Official Forum of Shamoozal.com
It is currently July, 31, 2014 - 1:34pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fever Blisters/Cold Sores/Whatever they are
PostPosted: June, 3, 2008 - 11:33pm 
Colonel Campbell

Russell Casse wrote:
80% of the US has it. Chances are, you've got it. It could be years before it manifests itself.

Thanks a lot, I thought I was safe from this grossness.

Post subject: Re: Fever Blisters/Cold Sores/Whatever they are
PostPosted: June, 5, 2008 - 2:39pm 
THE GENERAL

2 Days Left and they're almost gone.
I've been using this stuff called Abreva. It works pretty well.
But I shouldnt have done the Oprah trick because the scab still hasnt come off from that method. Son of a bitch. Oh well, I hope the next couple days finish it off.

Post subject: Re: Fever Blisters/Cold Sores
PostPosted: October, 13, 2008 - 3:52pm 
THE GENERAL

i've been fighting off a cold for the last week.
my wife got a bad cold and the full symptoms havent hit me but i'm still a bit stuffy.
but anyway, thats more for the 'getting sick' whore daddy.

probably due to my sickness and blowing my nose and little chap lip action, i feel a cold sore brewing. its a tiny bit visible but i bet when i wake up tomorrow it will have GROWN! i think i still have the Abreva that worked like a charm before my wedding so I'm gonna have to find it. goddamn herp lip.

PostPosted: May, 4, 2010 - 8:06pm 
THE GENERAL

NOOOOOOOOO! My top lip exploded throughout the day with a couple fever blisters.
Always around this time of year and I hate it. Good thing my goatee is kind of long right now, the mustache part is hiding them a bit.

PostPosted: May, 5, 2010 - 10:05am 
Shamoozal Warrior

i hate that shit. i used to get cold sores and it totally looked like i had the herp.

PostPosted: May, 5, 2010 - 10:29am 
Secret Fan

Also, just for reference, you gents might also be suffering from an Aphthous ulcer, also known as a canker sore. There's a myriad of causes for these types of ulcers, such as eating citrus fruits, stress, applying pressure to the lips/gums/tongue, as well as eating foods that have an abrasive surface such as toast, and potato chips. My own doctor has mentioned that you can also get the from spicy foods since that irritates and erodes the mucous membranes that causes canker sores to appear.

They have an appearance very similar to cold sores but are not caused by herpes simplex. I used to get these a lot growing up in conjunction with chapped lips from winter, and probably not helped at all by the fact I love spicy foods. I mainly got them on my tongue however, which was largely due to the fact that I tend to scrape my tongue on the backs of my teeth as a bad habit. Also, apparently smoking decreases the likeliness of them occuring, and I have to say that since I picked up that filthy habit I have not seen one in years... so that's something.

I've also been told canker sores might be caused by high sodium diets, which would also have made sense for me, but I cannot confirm this, and since many medical websites offer a treatment for canker sores that involves rinsing one's mouth with salt water (table salt being comrpised of the molecule NaCl) I am very tempted to say that it is bogus.

Since canker sores are not caused by Herpes simplex it is not transmissible, and tends to effect women more often then men, although it is a very common form of oral sores that affect the whole of society.

Last edited by Dr Gaius Baltar on May, 5, 2010 - 10:41am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May, 5, 2010 - 10:32am 
Shamoozal Warrior

i thought cankers were on the inside of the mouth

PostPosted: May, 5, 2010 - 10:33am 
Secret Fan

IratePrimate wrote:
i thought cankers were on the inside of the mouth

kidshealth.org wrote:
Also known as aphthous ulcers, canker sores are small sores that can occur inside the mouth, cheeks, lips, throat, or sometimes on the tongue. But don't confuse canker sores with cold sores or fever blisters, which are sores that are caused by the herpes simplex virus and are found outside the mouth around the lips, on the cheeks or chin, or inside the nostrils. Whereas cold sores are contagious, canker sores are not contagious — so kissing cannot spread them.

Last edited by Dr Gaius Baltar on May, 5, 2010 - 10:37am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May, 5, 2010 - 10:33am 
THE GENERAL

I get them a couple times a year. It comes from my Mom's side of the family. She gets them from time to time too. But they arent contagious because my Dad never gets them and my wife never gets them. Something on my Mom's side of the family makes me get these things. Usually it does have to do with chapped lips and picking the skin. Sometimes its stress. But I dont know what this recent time is from.

PostPosted: May, 5, 2010 - 10:39am 
Secret Fan

Johnny Manf wrote:
I get them a couple times a year. It comes from my Mom's side of the family. She gets them from time to time too. But they arent contagious because my Dad never gets them and my wife never gets them. Something on my Mom's side of the family makes me get these things. Usually it does have to do with chapped lips and picking the skin. Sometimes its stress. But I dont know what this recent time is from.

You may actually have canker sores since they are often found to be hereditary. I got mine from my dad's side of the family.

Actually considering you haven't infected anyone with it, it might be safe to assume you might get canker sores, and just for reference, the actual cause for them is still relatively unknown to the medical community, though some of the things I have listed above have been tied to ulcers as being a possible causal agent.

PostPosted: May, 5, 2010 - 10:43am 
Secret Fan

Bare with me on these last few posts, I haven't slept in 72 hours and it is taking me some time to correctly identify and correct grammatical and spelling hours [errors] in my poses [posts].

I left the typos in their original form on this post just so you know how bad my brain is functioning right now.

PostPosted: January, 12, 2011 - 9:55am 
THE GENERAL

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I was out all day Sunday in the freezing cold and my lips took a beating. They have been all chapped and peeling the last couple days so today I wake up with the beginning of a cold sore. Figures I have a wedding to go to on Friday and I'll be in Atlantic City on Sunday. All while looking like I have the herp. I've been using my usual prevention methods but I think its too late. It grew overnight unexpectedly.

i hate these things so much.

PostPosted: January, 12, 2011 - 10:29am 
Purple Heart

That sucks dude... just got rid of mine completely a few days ago.

PostPosted: January, 12, 2011 - 10:32am 
Shamoozal Legend

Anti virals? I don't really know what the cure is. I guess it's just waiting and letting it go away on it's own. What causes the flare ups? Stress?

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. "

PostPosted: January, 12, 2011 - 10:38am 
THE GENERAL

Stress does make them flare up but it also happens when my lips get really chapped.
I was outside all day and night Sunday and didnt bring any chapstick so my lips were getting all the wind and coldness.
So they've been peeling and chapped on Monday and Tuesday and I was using chapstick like crazy.

But then it appeared this morning anyway.

I use Abreva and it works pretty well but I should have used it Monday and Tuesday instead of waiting until the day it appeared. Sometimes it still gets rid of it fast though.

PostPosted: January, 12, 2011 - 11:07am 
Purple Heart

Mine flared up after I cut my lip with a razor...